CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 26, 2010

Who Do YOU Write Like?

This link appeared on a couple of different blogs that I follow with the invitation to go to the site and have my writing analyzed in order to see who I write like.  Most of the people whose results I saw said that they write like Mark Twain.  Me, as usual, I have to be different.  The results of my analysis showed that .....


I write like
Cory Doctorow
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


That figures.  I have never read anything written by Cory Doctorow.  In fact, I will be quite honest and admit that, until five minutes ago, I had never even heard of him.  A quick search informed me that he is a Canadian activist and writes primarily in the genre of science fiction. 

Huh!  I hope that doesn't mean that my own writings are so far out there that they would be classified as science fiction; what I submitted for analysis was certainly not intended to be science fiction.  I wrote science fiction when I was in 5th and 6th grade.  I left that behind me years ago once I learned that we can't really live on the moon. 

I guess I will just have to read some writings by Mr. Doctorow to see if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  But, let's look at it this way - he is a published author, many times over, so it can't be too bad!

Try it for yourself.  Click on the "Analyze your writing!" link above and see who your writing style resembles.  It's fun and you might be surprised!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jan Marie! I write like Stephen King (I was really hoping for J.R.R. Tolkien). I'm going to past some of The Victor in there and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just pasted my favorite scene from The Victor in there (the reunion of Joshua and Llyonesse and it says I write like Dan Brown). I think it just picks names at random!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really funny, Marlayne! I don't see any comparison at all between The Victor and Dan Brown's writing. I tried another passage from my writing and it came up Cory Doctorow again! I tried a third time and it said George Orwell. Ugh! Not one of my favorite writers - but at least I have heard of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this generator is for fun and it just means your word choices are like the limited number of authors they have loaded on this computer software. But it does give food for thought about what kind of word choices you make.

    My nonfiction writing was different than my fiction writing.

    Those who critique you will tell you if you remind them of anyone. I've done that many times as I've written book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an interesting software. I think I'll check it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. True, Crystal. It is very random and I hope that no one would be tempted to really take it seriously. It is a lot of fun though - something to do on a rainy day when I can't get in the pool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I write like Stephen King. Spooky...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alex, that doesn't surprise me at all!

    ReplyDelete