CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

K. Dawn Byrd ... Author Interview

For the very first author interview on this blog, please join me in welcoming K. Dawn Byrd, whose second book from Desert Breeze Publishers has just been released.  Her latest book is Killing Time and is categorized as inspirational suspense.  Here is the blurb:
Mindy McLaurin thinks it's the end of the world when she's incarcerated on trumped-up embezzlement charges. While in jail, she investigates the death of an inmate who allegedly died of an overdose. Mindy suspects foul play when her cellmate dies and she learns that both women had ingested the same drug. Mindy trusts no one, including Drew Stone, the handsome counselor she can’t stop thinking about. She faces many challenges, including constant interrogation by the Major and emotional abuse from the other inmates. Upon release, someone is stalking her and framing her for the murder. Can she prove to Counselor Stone that she’s innocent of all charges before she loses him forever?

Welcome to Write About Now!   K. Dawn has provided a brief introduction for those of us who are just meeting her for the first time.

 K. Dawn Byrd is an author of inspirational romance and romantic suspense.  She released two books from Desert Breeze Publishing in 2010, Queen of Hearts, in April, and Killing Time, in August.  She's also a proud member of ACFW and attributes the fact that she is published to joining the organization. 

Each week on her blog,  K. Dawn interviews anywhere from three to six authors  who give away signed copies of their books .  You can register to win at  K. Dawn Byrd, Author.

When not writing, K. Dawn enjoys walking with her dogs and her husband of fifteen years beside a beautiful lake near her home.  As she walks, she plots the next story that is just waiting to be told.

Only four months between the release dates of Queen of Hearts and Killing Time – that’s impressive!  Were you working on both books at the same time?   If so, was it difficult to keep your characters and stories apart?

I wrote Killing Time a few years ago.  It's the first book I wrote.  It's been through probably a dozen edits because I'd buy another book on craft, read it, learn something new, and tear it apart again. Queen of Hearts was my National Novel Writing Month project.  I wrote it in November of last year.  I don't work on two stories at once because I find it's hard for my mind to switch gears.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?

I absolutely love everything about plotting and the pre-writing process.  I enjoy filling out character worksheets and getting to know my characters and also skimming through magazines looking for photographs of how I picture my characters in my head.  It's fun working on their "goals, motivations, and conflicts" and digging deep to see what makes them tick.

What is your least favorite part of the writing process?

My least favorite part of the writing process is the editing.  I'm so excited when I finish a book and so ready to move on to the next one!

I can’t help but notice the vast difference in the setting between Queen of Hearts and Killing Time.  Is it hard to switch from one time period to another?


It wasn't hard at all to switch from the WWII era to modern-day, maybe because I've always been a WWII buff and was very familiar with the era.  It's almost like home.

Which was easier for you to write - historical or contemporary?

The historical was the easiest to write, most likely because the contemporary was my first book.  I personally believe the first book is the hardest to write because the mind doesn't yet know how to think like a writer.

What was your favorite subject(s) in school?

English was my favorite subject in school because I've always loved to read.  I never imagined when I was penning poems back in middle school that one day I'd be a published author.

Do you tend to eat more or less when on a deadline?  In other words, are you a nervous eater?  What would be your first choice of comfort food?


When I'm buried in work, I don't think much about food.  You can't tell it by looking at me though! If I know I'll be writing for hours upon end, I eat before I get started so I won't have to stop if the muse is flowing.

What inspires you?

I recently subscribed to Writer's Digest Magazine and have found that it inspires me.  If I don't feel like writing, I'll crack open the cover and, before I know it, the longing to write is so strong that I'm pecking away at the keys.

If not writing, what would you rather be doing?

As I stated earlier, I love plotting.  I also enjoy research, especially historical research.

If you could choose when you were born, what era would you prefer to live in and why?

I'd prefer to live in the WWII era.  I know that times were hard, but Americans banded together on the home front to fight the war on our own soil by rationing, participating in scrap drives, volunteering at the Red Cross, etc.  I'm afraid we'll never see that sense of camaraderie in this country again.

Where would be your favorite place to live?

On the East coat.  I absolutely love the ocean.


Thanks so much for joining us today.  I am certainly looking forward to reading Killing Time.   Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thanks for the interview. My email address is kdawnbyrd@yahoo.com.  Readers can find my blog at http://www.kdawnbyrd.blogspot.com/.

To view the video trailer of Killing Time, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncljBid61g
To purchase the ebook, go to Desert Breeze Publishing.

4 comments:

  1. OOOH! I want this book I think... hmm. I bet its really expensive right now though. I'll wait for the price to go down. But I want it. :)

    Thanks for Sharing!

    With Love and Blessings,
    Bleah Briann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this book ONLY an e-book? Or is it gonna be on paper soon??? Please get back to me!

    Blonde4christ.blogspot.com

    Love,
    Bleah Briann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have emailed K. Dawn to ask her if it will be available in paperback. Sorry I didn't think to ask her before I posted the interview - I will let you know as soon as I hear from her.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Jan Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, everyone!
    "Killing Time" is available only in ebook format. If you don't read E, you can learn how on my blog at www.kdawnbyrd.blogspot.com. It's about the 6th or 7th post down and will show you how to download the Kindle to your computer or laptop. Also, you can download it to your smartphone. Killing Time is $5.99 on Amazon.com. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete