CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Review ... A Man's Heart by Lori Copeland

A Man's Heart, set in the potato-growing district of Washington state, is the story of Jules and her one true love, Cruz.  Jules knows that she will never love another man the way that she loves Cruz.  So why is it that, when the wedding day draws near, she calls it off -- not just one time, but two times? Certainly not because she doesn't love Cruz, but because she has goals that she has not yet attained and perhaps she is, quite simply, afraid to commit.  Cruz, his heart bruised by her betrayal, vows that he will never again give Jules the opportunity to wound him. Can't say that I blame him, can you?

When, after a span of four long years, a chain of circumstances arises that throws Cruz and Jules into constant, nearly daily, contact with one another, they both put up barriers to protect themselves from being hurt once again. However, it seems that God has other plans if they are only willing to yield their futures and their hearts to His divine will.

The plots and subplots in this book are so intricately woven together that it is an emotional roller coaster ride from the first page to the satisfying conclusion.  Lori Copeland has created characters who are real and who have true-to-life struggles.  She has shown quite clearly that it is only when we are willing to surrender all to Him can we ever expect to attain the level of joy that is waiting for us.  Only He has the answers to all of our questions, the solution to all of our problems, and only He can provide a way when there seems to be no way. As I read this book, I mourned with Jules and Cruz and happily rejoiced with them when God stepped in and proved His faithfulness. 

The scripture that came to me as I read A Man's Heart is found in  Psalms 31:7 (KJV): "I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities." Certainly there was an abundance of adversity that Jules, Cruz, and other family members had to combat throughout the course of the book.   But, they ultimately learned the truth of Psalms 126:5 (KJV): "They that sow in tears shall reap in joy."

I first read a book by Lori Copeland in 2002.  (I know this because I keep a log of every single book that I read, including the date that I read it and the number of pages in the book).  It has, admittedlly, been a while since that I read that first book.  However, one thing that I do remember is that from that day forward I was always on the lookout for a new release by her.  Lori has the ability to create realistic characters and place them in situations that are also tenable. She will keep you engrossed until the last page and you will be blessed by what you read and the lessons depicted.

To learn more about Lori Copeland and her books, you can find her at her web site.  Her books can be purchased at several locations including Zondervan, Christian Book Distributors, Amazon, and your favorite Christian book store.

A Man's Heart was given to me by Library Thing Early Reviewers for review purposes.  I was not obligated in any way to give a positive review.  All opinions and statements contained in this review are solely the opinion of the writer of the review. I received no compensation in any form for providing this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment