CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Book Review ...

Licensed for Trouble by Susan May Warren


Author Susan May Warren's  recent release, Licensed for Trouble, is the third book in a series about PJ Sugar, the feisty young heiress to a questionable bequest and an aspiring private investigator. 

From the cover: 

PJ Sugar has no idea why she is the sole beneficiary of the town's wealthiest widow, a woman she barely even knew. But the timing couldn't be more perfect -- PJ has clearly worn out her welcome at her sister Connie's house. Even if there's barely enough in the inheritance to pay the real estate taxes on the Kellogg estate, at least it will be a roof over PJ's head.

Unfortunately, the place has seen better days, and PJ is short on cash to make the necessary repairs. Rescue comes in the form of Max Smith, a mysterious handyman who is willing to trade his skills for PJ's help in investigating his past.

But between trying to catch a bail jumper, working toward her PI license, and nurturing a budding romance with her boss, Jeremy Kane, PJ's caseload is full. If she's not careful, she'll inherit more trouble than she knows what to do with.


About the author:

Susan May Warren is an extremely prolific and versatile writer.  A complete listing of her books can be found  here. There you will see that she has written in many genres including romantic suspense, chic lit, and historical fiction.

Susan May Warren is the award-winning author of a number of novels and novellas with Tyndale, Steeple Hill and Barbour Publishing. Her first book, Happily Ever After won the American Fiction Christian Writers Book of the Year in 2003, and was a 2003 Christy Award finalist. In Sheep’s Clothing, a thriller set in Russia, was a 2006 Christy Award finalist and won the 2006 Inspirational Reader’s Choice award. A former missionary to Russia, Susan May Warren now writes Suspense/Romance and Chick Lit full time from her home in northern Minnesota.

My opinion:

Susan has a very engaging writing style that quickly draws the reader into the pages of her books. There is suspense and tension sprinkled with just the right amount of humor to let you relax and yet still keep you engrossed. The characters are well-contrived and likable. The plot is fairly basic but has enough twists and turns that you don't get from point A to point B without first following a very circuitous path.

Throughout the pages of the book, PJ, who was adopted by her family, often questions her roots and wonders about who she is and where she came from. When she becomes the heir to the Kellogg estate, questions whose answers  have remained hidden for years begin coming to light. Even though PJ is unsure of her earthly origins, she is solid in her belief in  the important fact; that she is an heir of Christ, and a child of the King.  This Biblical principal is displayed in the book of Romans, chapter 8, verse 17: "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (KJV)

Even though this was the third book in the series and I haven't yet read the first two, I was easily able to follow along with the plot without feeling that I was missing anything. True, there were numerous references to events in the earlier books that would have perhaps given me a greater understanding of the characters and their role in PJ's life; however, the deficit was not sufficient to make me feel that I could not follow along with the story.

When I look at the impressive list of previous books by Susan, I am astounded that this is the first book of hers that I have been privileged to read. However, from my experience with Licensed for Trouble, I can promise that it will not be my last. I will be on the lookout for past and future books by Susan May Warren to add to my collection. I heartily recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a fun, yet suspenseful, experience.

I received this book as a Goodreads First Read book. I was in no way obligated to provide a positive review and all statements contained herein are my honest opinion. I received no compensation in any form for providing my review. The book was provided by Tyndale House Publishers.

3 comments:

  1. I've only read one of this series but I really enjoyed it. Might be time for another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila,

    I feel exactly the same way! I think I'll start at the beginning this time.

    Blessings,
    Jan Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, but I haven't read the first two books in the series yet, and I am totally obsessive compulsive about reading series books in order! But I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one without having read the first two.

    ReplyDelete